3.10.2010

Bright side

Could it be true? Is spring really here? The days are getting longer and warmer, and wool coats are starting to look a little silly. I'm not going to call it quite yet, mostly because there is still snow that hasn't melted up in Tarrytown.

Maybe its me or maybe its the harlem line, but I'm having a hard time coming up with anything interesting that has happened on the train recently. Perhaps I should try a local train or two and see if there is any relationship between number of stops and entertaining situations.

I can't say the same for flying though. Coming back from my vacation, I encountered two characters that I couldn't help but notice. Prior to boarding there were numerous announcements about boarding procedure to ensure we got out in time. They really stressed the importance of not holding up others in the aisle. This got me thinking that they were trying to beat air traffic in some way or another.

My zone is called and when I get into the gate, I notice these two women in front of me moving very slowly. I don't know how I missed it before, but they are carrying 1 purse 3 shopping bags each, filled with clothes, cutting boards, and cups. Also one of them thad a large, pink stuffed bunny. They kept dropping items as they shuffled down the walkway. Then, all of a sudden I hear a loud "rrrrrrrriiiip." One of their bags busted open, spilling clothes all over the place.

I was, of course, trapped behind them, without a clear way to get around. When they get to the plane door, they got a little lecture about the number of carry-ons they had, and were each able to drop down to 1 purse and 1 shopping bag each. I tried to pass them during this exchange but there was a bit of a line to board, and they just went right back in front of me.

About 3 rows down, they realize they don't know where they are sitting and stop to check their purses. Digging and digging they don't move aside at first, but then half step into empty seats. I made my move. Dart past them and get into my seat, glad to be rid of them.

A few minutes later they shuffle towards me, and this is when I notice the two vacant seats next to me. I had a little hope when they passed me but were corrected by the flight attendant and settled in.

The plane pulls away from the gate, and I first observe them doing that catholic thing, touching their head and chest, in order to say a little prayer. We pull forward, they do another prayer. We turn onto the runway, another prayer. The engines kick in, prayer. We lift off the ground and they both instantly fall asleep - one of them snoring.

I get my noise canceling headphones on and make it through the rest of the flight without noticing them much. We land and I bolt off the plane. Somehow we got in 30 min early, after taking off a little late, so I really shouldn't complain. That whole experience just stuck out in my mind as everything not to do when boarding. At least it was more interesting than my fellow retummocs lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment