10.12.2010

I can relate...

So after a series updates on getting a visa and a plane ticket, my friend Steph is off to India for an adventure. She just started up a blog Eat Sweat Diarrhea, which I think is an excellent title given her laugh is as infectious as that of Julia Roberts. I'm also sure there are to be many mis-adventures, and juicy details to come.

I don't really have much in the way to offer in terms of international travel advice. I do, however, have a lot of general travel experience taking the train everyday. Looking back, my original math was that i spent 2 hours a day commuting, making that 10 hours a week or 40 hours a month. Well with the changes in timetables and little delays that have crept up (additional shuttle stops), somehow that time has significantly increased. It now takes me a solid 1.5 hours each way, and more often than not an extra 30 minutes in the morning because I almost never make the express train that gets me to work early. So worst case that 3.5 hours a day spent commuting, thats 17.5 hours/week and I refuse to convert that any further.

17.5 hours is a lot of time. But when you think about it (and a quick trip to kayak.com confirmed it) I could fly to India in 17.5 hours. So, every week I fly to India... or a lot of other places, but I think India has a kind of dramatic tone to it. So Steph, while I know you are worried about the flight, it won't be bad. After all, I do it all the time. 

...the earplugs are a good idea though. Best of luck, I'll be reading.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, John! You're right. 17.5 hours isn't that bad. Tylenol PM helps, but that wouldn't work in your case.

    I thought of this picture on your blog the other day when I took the train to Victoria Terminus, sort of Mumbai's Grand Central, except it smells like ungodly things and is only nice to look at from the outside.

    Keep the posts coming. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete